Hey Everyone! to keep Kelly's Chat running we need Help!! PLEASE consider becoming a premium member!!
Click here to see our options and all extras that come with!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horror Films

Re: Horror Films

REMOVE AD'S
    "Suspiria" is gorgeous to look at. I'll have to watch it again soon.

I watched Dario Argento's other big filim, "Deep Red (Profondo Rosso") last night. The style and story were captivating, but what ruins it for me is the music score.

The title music by Goblin, is amazing and appropriate. However, the actual score of the film is laughably inappropriate to the action. It is essentially fast-paced bass and drum-heavy 1970's progressive rock that sounds like early Yes and early Genesis. Great music, but it just doesn't fit a scene where the main character is driving slowly down the street looking for an address.

That incongruity continually took me out of the film.

"We Go On"
    I watched this twice. After reading all of the glowing reviews, I thought I'd missed something. Nope! This film is trash. Annette Benning is a shrewish mother. Clark Freeman is a man-child making odd faces at the camera. We learn that she lied to him about his father and even lied about the fact that she called him "Bill." I can't care about a woman like that. The film is clumsily assembled and the locations are ugly LA. The only saving grace is the scene at LAX as the "heavies" take off. Damning it all is the fact that it is not scary.

Shadow People (2012) This one is so slow. I kept waiting for it to kick in and it was simply a limp noodle. 80 minutes of your life will tick by and this film will leave you with less than you started with. Nothing happens. I am not exaggerating, NOTHING HAPPENS!

Flight 7500 (2015) I love aviation and films about it, but this one was terrible. The ending is abrupt and unsatisfying.

Subject Two (2006)

This re-imagining of “Frankenstein” is carefully executed (pun intended.)

There are only 6 actors in this film. Two miles high in the Rocky Mountains is a gorgeous yet isolated setting. The majesty of the vistas is balanced by the claustrophobia of the knotty pine wood hut. The similarly small budget benefits the film.

Although the blood-soaked clothing is way too red and the contact lenses are a bit distracting. At least there is no CGI monster. Nothing takes me out of a film experience like CGI.

All of the actors are solid and Courtney Mace is perfectly sweet as the siren that gives Adam her telephone number knowing that she will never see him again. Modern versions of Dr. Frankenstein, Igor and the monster all appear. With the twist foreshadowed by the title, I’ll leave it to you to decide who is who.

The Exorcist

Linda Blair gave me lots nightmare .
    Attached Images Attached Images

smoking is bad

This is a really good thread, usually watch horror films every couple weeks with friends and there's a few on here I realise we've not actually watched, that's the next few nights sorted.

My favourite is Evil Dead, it's got a good mix of horror and (unintentional) comedy.

Only 2 stand out that actually scared me, one being Insidious. I used to have nightmares all the time growing up and a movie about evil spirits that feature in your dreams got to me.

The other was Dead Silence, that creepy little puppet.

Since before Halloween, I've been on a bit of a horror film binge. I hope others will share their favorites too.

Tales of Terror (1962)

This is the type of movie that introduced me to horror over the airwaves on a Saturday afternoon. The players include Joyce Jameson, Peter Lorre, Debra Paget, Vincent Price and Basil Rathbone.

This anthology consists of three stories based upon and expanded from Edgar Allan Poe's stories. The original stories were only a few pages long, so the filmmakers had a lot of room to move.

Morella - Dysfunction at it's worst. When his long lost daughter returns, Price's character tells her that he has always hated her and will always blame her for his wife's death. He goes on to tell her that "I took you from your cradle and I almost hurled you out the window!" She cries "I wish you had!" Such raw emotion is not often witnessed in today's horror films.

The Black Cat - If you've ever had a cat "mess with you" you'll appreciate this story. I took my brothers cat for a week and it ran into the wall and wouldn't come out, peed on my bed and opened doors when I was at work. Anyway, the cat spills the beans in this tale. The wine tasting contest is hilarious!

The Facts In the Case of M. Valdemar - A tale of a mesmerized dying man. Real emotion.

"Storm of the Century" (1999) is an immersive experience. I love to watch it in the dog days of summer, because it always makes me feel cold. The languid pace of the mini-series format transports me to "Little Tall," that isolated island off the coast of Maine, where everyone knows everyone. I don't feel like I'm watching a movie; I feel like I'm there.

The end game reminds me of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery." That story has disturbed me since I first read it in Junior High School. Colm Feore is magnificent as "Andre Linoge."

Hellions (2015)

Like "Eraserhead" and "Rosemary's Baby," the main theme is fear of child birth. The "Hellions" themselves reminded me of the gnomes in the original 1970's "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark." The film has a nightmarish quality, blurring the line between reality and what's happening in Dora's mind.

The Dolby Digital Surround mix is superb, with crystal clear dialogue, even at low volume and excellent separation between the channels. I watched it alone in the dark and there were a few times when I couldn't tell if the sound came from the movie or something in my house. I love when that happens! The theme song playing during the menu screen is scary, heavy and also a bit funny.

Cell (2016)

I did not like it because I find "Zombie Movies" laughable. The zombies move so slowly and have the sense of ants. The director states that this is the first time that Samuel L. Jackson played a homosexual. He has one line at the start of the film where he says "My man left me, I live alone." If you blinked, you missed it. It's not like he is flitting around the whole story. The ending is either a cop-out or simply goofy. Anyway, silly premise, silly execution and zero scares.

Incarnate (2016)

All "exorcism" stories are inspired by Wm. Peter Blatty's novel "The Exorcist." Here, when "The Exorcist" meets "Flatliners," the twists are that "the exorcist" is not a priest, but a man of science and the demon is not stalking him, he is hunting the demon.

It is a small predictable film that seems to understand that it is simply something to watch if you have nothing better to do.

The DVD offers the theatrical release as well as the unrated version. The run time for the PG-13 movie is 1:27; the unrated is 1:28. Huh? Wait a MINUTE! Or should I write, "Wait, a MINUTE?"

Halloween (1978)

"Everyone is entitled to one good scare."

That's what Annie's father says to Laurie when he startles her. The three actresses are a bit mature to be portraying high schoolers, but they make it work and I care about them. Nancy Kyes is the smart aleck, Annie. P.J. Soles is the lovably sexy bimbo Lynda and Jamie Lee Curtis is the super responsible Laurie. It is easy to believe they are friends.

The initial scene with young Michael is horrific and sad. It is clear he is mentally absent from what he has done. The music is perfectly wrought to set nerves on end. This is a classic.

Why “The Exorcist” is Frightening

Here are four reasons that “The Exorcist” is the scariest story ever told.

1. Guilt: This guilt is initiated in the first scenes, when Father Merrin finds the medallion with Saint Joseph holding baby Jesus, next to a fetish of a demon. Clearly, the battle between good and evil has raged for a very long time and good has failed too eradicate evil. This results in guilt. Father Damien Karras lacks the funds to move his mother to a nice care facility. He knows she needs care and can only afford a nursing home. She cries “Why you do this to me Damiey?” Damien has lost his faith and this exacerbates his feelings of guilt. Is he a priest or a fraud? The demon tells Damien “You killed your mother. You left her alone to die!”
    2. Conflict and Uncertainty: Father Merrin spies the statue of the demonic archangel Lucifer and stands against him in the sunset for the first time. A church has been desecrated with statues covered in blood and vulgar displays. A physician casually lights up a cigarette. The demon tells Father Karras that it is “The Devil.” Clearly, it is lying. It is unable to force the night table drawer out a second time. When Father Karras sprinkles tap water on the demon, it reacts as if it were Holy Water. Clearly, it is acting.
    3. System vs. Free-styling: Ellen Burstyn’s character, while performing states “If you want to affect change, you have to do it within the system. Later, she asks Father Damien to deviate from Church protocol for an exorcism. She is not religious, but in despair runs to organized religion. Ultimately, Father Damien breaks protocol and in a last-ditch effort to save the girl. Demands the demon to enter him.
    4. Ultimately, the scariest thing is that evil is indeed real. It may not be a possession by a demon or a devil, it could be a terrorist on a plane or at a public event or nightclub, but as Father Merrin says: “The point is to make us despair. To see ourselves as animal and ugly. To reject the possibility that God could love us.”

Halloween II (1981)

This part reminds me of Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry." Donald Pleasence as Dr. Loomis mentions that he shot "The Shape" six times, about six times during this film. It got so annoying, I went back and counted the shots. He actually shot him 7 times at first and then 5 more later on. This is a wholly unnecessary film, made only as a cash grab. The paramedic slipping and falling on the bloody floor is just ridiculous. Dr. Loomis killing himself with "The Shape" was silly. It was blinded. All they had to do was leave and tell the police a blinded killer was at the hospital. It wouldn't have been too difficult to apprehend him.

There is some interesting backstory/exposition. We learn that Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) is Michael Myers little sister. He was 6 when he murdered his older sister. His parents died 2 years later. She was adopted by the Strode family when she was 4 years old. She is 17, he is 21.

It is fun to note that Dick Warlock played "The Shape" and also "Patrolman No. 3. Dana Carvey plays the reporter's assistant. So he worked with Michael Myers and Mike Myers.

REMOVE AD'S
    Donald Pleasence was an amazing actor and gave the Halloween movies substance along with John Carpenter.
    Really any John Carpenter movie is classic watching, horror or not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

3333333333333 666666666666666666